The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) is the province’s economic immigration program. It works in partnership with the Government of Canada through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Foreign workers, international students and others with the right skills, experience and education apply to the OINP for a nomination.
The OINP recognizes and nominates people for permanent residence who have the skills and experience the Ontario economy needs, and the Government of Canada makes the final decision to approve applications for permanent residence.
For other ways to immigrate to Ontario, visit the Government of Canada’s website.
What you need to know
There are three ways you may qualify for a nomination:
- Employer job offer category: for workers who already have a permanent job offer from an Ontario employer
- Human capital category: for workers who have valuable work experience, education, language skills, and a profile in Canada’s Express Entry system; or for graduate students
- Business category: for entrepreneurs looking to start a new or buy an existing business in Ontario
Employer job offer category
The employer job offer category has three streams which operate under an expression of interest system. To qualify under the employer job offer streams you must create a profile in the OINP e-Filing Portal then register an expression of interest for your employer job offer category, have received an invitation to apply and have a full-time and permanent job offer from an Ontario employer.
- Foreign Worker stream: for workers in skilled positions
- International Student stream: for recent graduates in Ontario
- In-Demand Skills stream: for intermediate skilled workers in specific sectors, such as agriculture, construction, trucking and personal support workers
Human capital category
The human capital category has two sub-categories, the international graduate streams and Ontario’s Express Entry streams.
These streams operate under an expression of interest system. To qualify under the Masters Graduate or PhD Graduate streams, you must create a profile in the OINP e-Filing Portal then register an expression of interest for your graduate stream, have received an invitation to apply and apply within two years of getting your graduate degree from an eligible Ontario university.
Ontario’s Express Entry
These streams operate through the federal government’s Express Entry System. To qualify under Ontario’s Express Entry streams, you must have received a notification of interest from Ontario and have an up-to-date profile with your most current work experience, language tests and education in the federal government’s Express Entry system.
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker stream: for French-Speaking skilled workers with the required work experience, education and language proficiency in French and English
- Human Capital Priorities stream: for skilled workers with the required work experience, education and language proficiency in French or English
- Skilled Trades stream: for workers with work experience in Ontario in an eligible trade occupation
The business category has one stream. You must be an entrepreneur from outside of Canada who is looking to implement a new business idea or buy and grow an existing business in Ontario.
There are four main steps to follow when applying for permanent residence:
1. Make sure you qualify
Once you’ve selected the stream you would like to apply under, make sure you meet all the mandatory requirements for that stream.
2. Create a profile and receive an invitation to apply or a notification of interest
Before you can apply to be nominated, you must create a profile in the appropriate system for your stream. Profiles will be ranked according to a scoring system.
Top candidates will receive an invitation to apply or a notification of interest.
Employer job offer streams and international students: register an expression of interest for your chosen stream(s) by creating a profile in the OINP e-Filing Portal.
Express Entry streams: submit a profile to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s Express Entry system.
3. Apply to be nominated by the OINP
If you have received an invitation to apply or a notification of interest, you may apply to be nominated by the OINP.
Employer job offer and international students: if you received an invitation to apply, you may apply online within 14 calendar days through the OINP e-Filing Portal.
Express Entry streams: if you received a notification of interest, you may apply online within 45 calendar days through the OINP e-Filing Portal. It takes between two to three hours to complete the application.
The application cost for:
- the employer job offer and human capital streams is either $1,500 or $2,000
- the business streams is $3,500 per business partner or key staff applicant
We only accept Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard and MasterCard Debit.
Application processing times vary, read application processing times and nominations issued for more information.
4. Apply to the Government of Canada for permanent residence
If your application is successful and you are nominated by the OINP, the next step is to apply for permanent residence through IRCC.
The Government of Canada makes the final decision on who becomes a permanent resident.
Free Canadian Citizenship Practice Test Online 2021
Try our free online Canadian Citizenship practice tests. Our website is designed to help you prepare for your Citizenship Test